CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER
PROVAIL was founded in 1942 by parents of children with cerebral palsy and has grown to be a leader in the field of community inclusion. Our founding parents created some of the first community services for individuals with cerebral palsy and other severe disabilities in the area. Today our mission is supporting people with disabilities to fulfill their life choices. We help people decide how they want to live their life in the community and then provide the support services they need to act on those choices. We are a lifelong resource to individuals with disabilities and their families. Our services include:
- Community-based residential services for adults with developmental disabilities and traumatic brain injury;
- Competitive supported employment helping adults and high school students with disabilities find jobs in the community;
- Clinical services including occupational/speech therapy and innovative assistive technology solutions for communication and mobility challenges
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
PROVAIL is committed to increasing diversity & inclusion and continually working to build an organizational culture and climate in which every voice is valued, staff have a sense of belonging and connection with one another and to the organization, and staff feel empowered to do their best work. We are taking intentional steps to better assess our staff diversity & inclusion and improve our responsiveness to our employees of color.
The Chief People Officer (CPO) will lead these efforts with support and collaboration from the Executive Team and the Board of Directors. The CPO will also engage staff throughout the agency in these efforts, including the staff led Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
With 430 staff members, the PROVAIL family is the heartbeat of the work. Without the collective passion and dedication, this important work would not be possible.
Salary Range: $125K – $135K
PROVAIL is seeking a people-centric leader to develop and lead the development of a new generation of HR practices; designed to support the development of inclusion and engagement of the workforce of one of the Washington state’s largest nonprofits supporting children and adults with disabilities. The Chief People Officer (CPO) will utilize their deep knowledge of human resources, their exceptional leadership skills and their passion for increasing diversity, equity & inclusion to envision and lead the development of organization-wide initiatives that inspire current and prospective staff, support growth, and embody PROVAIL’S values.
The Chief People Offer will provide strategic leadership by articulating and co-creating human resource programs and plans with the Board of Directors, CEO, and staff leadership team. They will work in partnership with our Equity Specialist, DEI Committee, and Executive Team peers to implement changes identified through our agency-wide equity audit. They will design, implement, and manage people development processes and systems that enable the organization to hire, develop and retain qualified staff that reflects the diversity of the PROVAIL community and ensures that employment-related decisions are free of bias, harassment, and discrimination.
This position reports to the CEO and is a member of the executive management team.
The Chief People Offer will lead and manage all aspects of Human Resources (HR) including, recruitment, hiring, retention, compensation strategy, administration of health benefits and retirement plans. The CPO will also manage the creation and implementation of employee performance and development programs. Lastly, the CPO will influence organizational-wide policies and procedures, ensuring agency compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws and regulations. Specific responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
Human Resource Strategy and Operational Oversight
- Leads a high performing human resources team to develop and support a unique and strong people-oriented culture at PROVAIL
- Develops, implements, and manages programs to increase staff engagement and retention, to meet goals for staff equity and to increase the cultural competence of supervisors and management. Ensures responsiveness to employment concerns raised by employees of color and those who identify with other marginalized groups.
- Must have understanding of, and prior experience implementing HR department’s role in organizational development.
- Evaluates the impact of organizational strategy and development on recruiting, development, retention, and succession planning for a diverse workforce.
- Collaborate with human resources team members and execute company-wide programs and initiatives including performance management and recognition
- Partner with the executive team to construct and execute strategic roadmaps and plans to uphold the organization’s mission, vision and values
- Develop and lead the implementation of programs that support employee engagement, employee relations. learning and development, diversity, inclusion and belonging
- Work with functional heads and managers to ensure we are investing in our people through building a positive and supportive work environments.
- Responsiveness to concerns raised by employees.
- Supports leaders throughout the organization with the implementation and execution of consistent, human-centered, equitable hiring practices.
- Ensures consistency of job descriptions, qualifications throughout the organization.
- Champion the organization’s DEI strategy and be a leader in the participatory process of translating strategy into thoughtful and measurable objectives.
- Facilitate the expression of PROVAIL’s values by implementing organization-wide initiatives identified through our equity audit that increase equity and a sense of belonging for all staff throughout all parts of the organzation
- Build a culture of continuous learning by designing and executing a professional development program that is meaningful for all employees in areas of the organization
- Create and support policies that mitigate bias, increase equitable outcomes, and foster respect and inclusion across all organizational levels of PROVAIL.
- Support the collection and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data to inform DEI efforts.
Successful candidates will possess the following: 10+ years of experience that includes:
- Working knowledge of Human Resources best practices and legal industry standards.
- PHR / SPHR certified or able to obtain within first year of employment
- Proactive, team oriented and collaborative leadership skills along with excellent communication skills required
- Demonstrated strategic HR excellence, including leading/participating in change initiatives, and in-depth knowledge of employment laws and applicable regulations.
- Proven ability to hire, develop, and retain effective, diverse teams.
- Success in mentoring and coaching team members, fueling their professional / personal growth as it relates to equity and inclusion.
- Experience implementing and managing impactful growth and learning programs for employees
- Proven ability in designing and implement innovative recruitment strategies that result in diverse teams
- Is recognized as a collaborative and engaging leader who can connect with staff and leaders at all levels of the organization
- Is willing and able to provide strategic leadership to system-level thinking and initiatives, while also managing the team to ensure outcomes are being achieved.
PROVAIL’s leadership is deeply committed to building a culture that delivers professional growth through meaningful work, honest feedback, and a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. All team members, are naturally aligned with our core values and mission, and strive to possess the following:
- Translates learnings into solutions for team members and the organization.
- Creates a culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Possesses a proactive outlook in seeking out professional development opportunities for one’s self and others.
- Embraces setbacks, seeing them as learning opportunities.
- Communicates in clear and compelling ways (written/verbal) and adapts appropriately for the environment
- Models and helps others embrace a culture of learning and continuous improvement by actively seeking and providing feedback.
- Exhibits a proactive, passionate, and collaborative attitude.
PROVAIL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
For more information about this position, please contact Nicole Ferrer at firstname.lastname@example.org
PROVAIL is committed to diversity & inclusion and continually working to build an organizational culture and climate in which every voice is valued, staff have a sense of belonging and connection with one another and to the organization, and staff feel empowered to do their best work. We specifically encourage people of color, individuals who identify as LGBTQ and individuals with disabilities to apply for this position.
All interested parties are urged to apply by completing the form below:
Alternatively, you may apply by providing a current resume via email to email@example.com. PROVAIL is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact Nicole Ferrer at 253.951.6408.
GET IN TOUCH
or send us a message
email us and we will happily respond