Chief PHILANTHROPY Officer
Together, the United Way of King County is working toward a racially just community where all people have homes, students graduate, and families are financially stable. For over 100 years, the United Way of King County has been serving residents of the region. The impact of the organization is undeniable, resulting in thousands of personal stories linking individuals to the United Way. Looking into the future, the United Way is clearly focused on transforming inequitable systems that perpetuate racial disparities. This work will be challenging but it is the only way forward. The United Way of King County is in a unique position to address large-scale issues through funding, direct service, advocacy, mobilizing communities and elevating BIPOC voices.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
The United Way of King County believes that the root causes of structural and systemic racism must be faced head on. This work is a big part of every team member’s role at the United Way in collaboration with a variety of internal and external committees and working groups which have been created with the goal of having a place for every employee to contribute to this work. Learn more about UWKC’s racial equity work.
To download a copy of the opportunity profile, please click here.
The Chief Philanthropy Officer is responsible for the development and execution of comprehensive long-range strategic and annual plans focused on revenue generation and donor engagement. The person in this role manages and directs teams that are directly responsible for leadership giving, annual fund effort, planned giving, corporate and foundation relations, affinity group engagement, and development operations.
The Chief Philanthropy Officer works on building relationships with high-level donors and volunteers to raise money to meet or exceed annual fundraising goals. It is the expectation that year after year, funds will be raised from existing community resources, while also having focused and aggressive strategies for exploring new revenue sources
This position reports to the President/CEO and is a member of the United Way senior leadership team. The position collaborates with internal teams and volunteers and leverages resources to enhance and maximize the productivity and effectiveness of fundraising efforts.
OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT
In alignment with the organization’s goals and strategies for 2023, the Chief Philanthropy Officer will have the opportunity for impact by:
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities to increase resources that will strengthen the organization’s ability to support community impact.
- Growing and supporting opportunities for BIPOC organizations to directly work within their communities.
- Leveraging the expertise and talent of the organization to follow through on the organization’s commitment to racial justice.
- Being a visible leader in systems change work focused on racial justice; internally and externally.
- Utilizing the organization’s Racial Equity Theory of Change framework to evaluate current practices and programing, which may result in the redesign, creation of, or sunsetting of programs that do not share power or center community voice.
- Creating opportunities to strengthening organizational culture and improve employee experience.
- Actively contributes to capacity building and fostering a culture of trust that advances racial equity.
The next Chief Philanthropy Officer will:
- Provides vision, leadership, and strategic direction for a fundraising team of 30+ staff
- Applies a growth mindset to the development and implementation of new ideas, initiatives, and processes to ensure future resources for the organization.
- Creates a positive work environment that enables staff to perform their best work.
- Creates annual projections regarding the financial and human resources needed to effectively deliver the revenue needed to sustain and grow the United Way.
- Leads the strategic effort to develop and enhance mutually beneficial relationships with existing donors (organizations and individuals) and potential new donors who are seeking ways to invest in community impact opportunities.
- Sets team priorities and initiates strategic and operational plans for accomplishing long and short-term organizational fundraising goals and objectives, to meet the needs of the organization.
- Provides professional leadership to volunteers engaged in critical fundraising committees and campaigns including members of the Board of Directors.
- Represents United Way in building long-term effective relationships with the business community, foundations, and others to develop partnerships.
- Stays aware of external environmental factors that influence fundraising.
- Sets goals and performance standards for development staff
- Creates a culture of collaboration and shared accountability, acknowledging both individual and team performance.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
The following skills and competencies reflect the nature of United Way of King County’s work, which is collaborative, inclusive, and transformational. A successful Chief Philanthropy Officer is a leader who can inclusively bring stakeholders together to collaboratively design and implement strategies, leverage resources, and center the voices of others.
The next Chief Philanthropy Officer will:
- Have experience leading and motivating talented, high-energy teams of fundraising professionals.
- Have demonstrated success leading and developing major fundraising initiatives with quantifiable results that meet or exceed objectives and goals.
- Embody a high level of self-confidence.
- Can manage relationships high-stakes relationships in the business, non-profit, and government sectors.
- Be known as a leader and champion for race and economic justice in both their personal and professional networks.
- Have strong fundraising competencies recognized by the association of fundraising professionals
- Have experience speaking to groups of varying sizes as well as volunteer management skills.
- Promote and lead cross-team collaboration within the organization.
- Have strong financial planning and management skills,
- Exhibit mindfulness and discernment when holding challenging conversations and making difficult decisions.
Individuals who possess the following will likely be competitive candidates in the recruitment process for the Chief Philanthropy Officer role:
- 10+ years of senior level leadership experience – including supervising people and initiatives.
- Expert level-understanding of non-profit fundraising and philanthropy (preferred).
- Success in fundraising roles or sales roles for organizations of similar size and complexity.
- Experience working for an organization with a complex stakeholder group.
- Higher education within the disciplines of business administration, public administration, sales, marketing, non-profit leadership, or other related areas of study.
The annual salary range for this role is $150,000 – $220,000. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, 403(b), EAP, life insurance, short- and long-term disability and ORCA transportation, and paid time off.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information about this position, please contact Nicole Leckband at email@example.com. Otherwise, please complete the form below:
The United Way of King County supports having safe work environments and requires all staff members to receive a COVID-19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation is granted for health or religious reasons.
The United Way of King County is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Research shows that women and members of structurally marginalized groups often only apply if they have met all of the qualifications of the job, but in our experience, no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. United Way encourages you to apply if you’re interested! We look forward to your application.
GET IN TOUCH
or send us a message
email us and we will happily respond