Vice President, Public Affairs
San Jose, CA
WHO WE ARE
Planned Parenthood Mar Monte (PPMM) in the largest Planned Parenthood affiliate in the U.S., spanning 42 counties in mid-California and northern Nevada. PPMM invests in communities by providing health care and education, and by expanding rights and access for all. PPMM strongly supports the work to end health inequities and systems of exploitation in the US. PPMM is proudly an equal opportunity employer. We know we are most effective when our staff reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
The Vice Present of Public Affairs is responsible for the overall management of Planned Parenthood Mar Monte’s (PPMM) Public Affairs Department in California and Nevada. This position will identify and oversee strategies for effective leadership and impact in the areas of public policy, legislation, grassroots advocacy, and organizing, as they relate to the broad range of issues affecting reproductive health, rights, and justice. The Vice President of Public Affairs will work intimately with staff aligned with Planned Parenthood Advocates Mar Monte, a 501(c)4. This position leads a team of 9 employees, and reports directly to the PPMM President & CEO.
- Manages the planning, development, implementation, maintenance, expansion, and evaluation of the Public Affairs department programs, projects, and activities.
- Manages the selection, training, development, supervision, and evaluation of the Public Affairs department staff, creating and maintaining a well-functioning, cohesive, collaborative, and high impact staff team.
- Ensures the development and maintenance of PPMM capacities to use a wide variety of communication and organizing tools for effective advocacy across priority issues in compliance with applicable 501(c)3 requirements.
- Ensures the development and maintenance of broad community, legislative, coalition, and regulatory relations to further affiliate objectives.
- Participates in the development and implementation of the strategic plan as it relates to making PPMM a more effective, cohesive, and mission driven organization.
- Ensures the development and accomplishment of annual department objectives in the affiliate operating plan.
- Identifies and develops new opportunities to build community support and financial resources for PPMM.
- Ensures department programs meet the needs of the diverse communities we serve.
- Works in close collaboration with PPMM's General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer.
- Oversees activities involving direct and grassroots lobbying, coalition building, and public education on public policy issues.
- Serves on, and participates with other members of the organizational Leadership Team to help shape and direct the organization and represent the affiliate to members of the board of directors, the general public, elected officials, the media, and other important stakeholders.
- Oversees innovative strategies to further expand and mobilize advocates for reproductive health, rights, and justice in California and Nevada.
- Identifies and creates strategic opportunities to promote PPMM”s beliefs and values while educating the public on relevant issues including press briefings, editorial board meetings, featured articles and letters to the editor campaigns.
- Maintains current knowledge about public policy, legislative, and electoral issues relevant to PPMM and communicates pertinent information in a variety of forums including newsletter articles, letters to donors and activists, letters to the editor, and action alert emails.
- Oversees development of strategic public policy messages and materials, including talking points, policy briefs, and action alerts.
- Creates strategies to position the organization as a leader of reproductive rights in California, Nevada, and nationally.
- Cultivates and maintains positive relationships with coalition members and community leaders.
- Serves as the internal resource for training and educating staff and volunteers about legislative and public policy updates and processes.
- Develops the budget for Public Affairs functions in consultation with the Chief Administrative and Finance Officer; administers the board-approved department budget, and monitors monthly financial data for necessary adjustments.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent decision making, priority setting and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in high stress, rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent public speaking and writing skills
- Ability to work effectively as a collaborative leader and team member.
- Ability to prepare plans, reports, and budgets.
- The ability to foster a cooperative atmosphere within a diverse workforce and communities.
- Experience in generating realistic, relevant, creative solutions in an ambiguous work environment.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the agency and community constituencies, including influencing leaders at all levels.
- Proven project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously, to meet agreed upon milestones, complete deliverables based on provided requirements.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, as required.
- Competence with mobile devices, Microsoft Office and Outlook, cloud-based team and project management platforms (Asana, Slack, Sharepoint, etc.), and/or database management tools used in PPMM operations.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Undergraduate degree, with related graduate degree preferred.
- At least ten (10) years of experience working in a public affairs, political, or legislative environment.
- Substantial experience in advocacy work, including but not necessarily limited to, influencing public policy, public opinion, and other related fields.
- Demonstrated experience in media, public, and/or community relations.
- At least five (5) years experience supervising professional staff.
To apply for this position, please complete the form below: