Director, People & Culture
Set among 411 acres of serene oak woodlands in the secluded hills of West Marin County, California, Spirit Rock Meditation Center is a refuge from everyday life where it’s truly possible to quiet the mind, soften the heart and see life in a new way.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION:
We know by experience, prioritizing diversity and inclusion throughout our hiring process allows equitable treatment and accessibility to everyone seeking employment at SRMC. We strive to create a workplace culture that reflects the communities we serve and empowers everyone to bring their full and authentic selves to our teams. All employees have the responsibility to treat fellow employees with the utmost of respect and dignity, at all times.
In conjunction with our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI Plan) Spirit Rock Meditation Center (SRMC) is committed to a diverse workplace environment where everyone is welcome. We honor and celebrate different ideas, voices, perspectives and backgrounds that help us create a robust and innovative multicultural organization.
Spirit Rock is seeking a highly emotionally intelligent, people-centric leader to develop and lead programing related to our greatest asset: the team. The Director of Talent and Culture will utilize their exceptional skills, interests, and expertise in the areas of human resources to envision and lead the development of organization-wide initiatives that inspire current and prospective staff, support growth, and embody Spirit Rock’s values.
The director will provide strategic leadership by articulating and co-creating human resource needs and plans with the Board of Directors, Executive Director and staff leadership team. They will design, implement and manage human resources (HR), Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) efforts, and people development processes and systems that enable the organization to hire, develop and retain qualified staff that reflects the diversity of the Spirit Rock community and ensures that employment-related decisions are free of bias, harassment, and discrimination.
This position reports to the Deputy Director, and manages the Human Resources Manager and DEI Manager.
Your passion for people and management of talent, diversity, and equity initiatives will help to drive the growth of the team and the collective impact of our work. As you execute the below responsibilities, you will need to:
- Have a deep commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion,
- Actively listen with an empathetic and open mind,
- Have a foundation of self-awareness that provides space for continuous learning and growth.
Specific responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- People Operations
- Lead a small, high performing human resources team to develop and support a unique and strong people-oriented culture at Spirit Rock
- Collaborate with human resources team members and execute company-wide programs and initiatives including performance management and recognition
- Partner with the executive team to construct and execute strategic roadmaps and plans to uphold the organization’s mission, vision and values
- Develop and lead the implementation of programs that support employee engagement, employee relations. learning and development, diversity, inclusion and belonging
- Work with functional heads and managers to ensure we are investing in our people through building a positive and supportive work environment.
- Lead the translation of the company’s DEI strategy and plan into thoughtful and innovative plans and objectives
- Champion Spirit Rock’s values and culture, designing and implementing organization-wide initiatives that embed our identity and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our organization and work.
- Drive team member growth, inclusion, and continuous learning by designing and executing a professional development program
- Create and support policies that mitigate bias, increase equitable outcomes, and foster respect and inclusion across all organizational levels of Spirit Rock.
- Create an Ombudsman Program.
- Coordinate the collection and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data to inform DEI efforts.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
The following skills and competencies reflect the nature of our work, which is collaborative, and inclusive. A successful Director is a first-rate leader who can design and implement solutions, leads by example; delivering excellence while exhibiting humility. A successful Director of People and Culture will also:
- Enjoy building and maintaining enduring relationships that will advance Spirit Rock’s mission.
- Is comfortable conversing with, presenting to, and being a leader within diverse groups.
- Exhibits mindfulness and discernment when holding challenging conversations and making difficult decisions.
- Inspires others at Spirit Rock who do not have a formal reporting relationship to them to seek out opportunities to work with them.
- Has knowledge of, and ability to engage in proven methodologies related to change management, organizational development and DEI best practices.
- Is willing and able to switch gracefully between acting as an individual contributor and overseeing larger initiatives, providing support and guidance.
- Is recognized for collaboratively and creatively designing solutions that enables the professional growth of our team members.
- Looks for opportunities to create new partnerships and allows others to leverage existing partnerships.
Successful candidates will possess the following: 10+ years of experience that includes:
- Success in mentoring and coaching team members, fueling their professional / personal growth as it relates to equity and inclusion.
- Experience defining, running and overseeing impactful training and learning and growth programs for employees
- Proven ability to design and implement a diversity, equity, and inclusion -focused recruitment strategy and to recruit top-quality candidates to build diverse teams.
- Is recognized by peers, leadership, and teams as having superior active listening skills and a collaborative approach to process improvements and change management.
- Working knowledge of Human Resources best practices and legal industry standards.
Spirit Rock’s leadership is deeply committed to building a culture that delivers professional growth through meaningful work, honest feedback, and a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. All team members, are naturally aligned with our core values and mission, and strive to possess the following:
- An ability to listen with an open mind and a deep commitment to including and respecting diverse viewpoints.
- Actively listens to multiple
- Translates learnings into solutions for team members and the organization.
- Creates a culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A desire for continuous improvement and a foundation of self-awareness that provides space for learning and growth.
- Possesses a proactive outlook in seeking out professional development opportunities for one’s self and others.
- Embraces setbacks, seeing them as learning opportunities.
- Communicates in clear and compelling ways (written/verbal) and adapts appropriately for the environment
- Models and helps others embrace a culture of learning and continuous improvement by actively seeking and providing feedback.
- Exhibits a proactive, passionate, and collaborative attitude.
In our dedication to the DEI initiative, SRMC provides on-going multi-cultural competency training to all employees that are intrinsically tied to the values of excellence, diversity and inclusion outlined in the mission and principles of Spirit Rock Meditation Center.
Spirit Rock is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
For more information about this position, please contact Nicole Ferrer at email@example.com.
All interested parties are urged to apply by completing the form below.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact Nicole Ferrer at 253.951.6408.
GET IN TOUCH
or send us a message
email us and we will happily respond