Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI) was founded in 1938 and is a national outdoor retail co-op dedicated to inspiring, educating and outfitting its members and the community for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.
At REI, we love to get outside and play, and we know first-hand the importance of quality outdoor gear. We stand behind all our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and we design our own line of award-winning REI brand gear and clothing. Whether you’re new to outdoor adventure or a seasoned pro, we gladly share our enthusiasm for our products—and the trails, slopes and waterways where we play.
Each year, REI donates millions of dollars to support conservation efforts nationwide and sends dedicated teams of volunteers—members, customers and REI employees—to build trails, clean up beaches, restore local habitats and more… Through responsible business practices across the company, we strive to reduce our environmental footprint.
What began as a group of 23 mountain climbing buddies is now the nation’s largest consumer cooperative. But no matter how large we grow, our roots remain firmly planted in the outdoors. Our passion for outdoor adventure is clear, whether you visit any of our stores across the country, phone us, or interact with us online.
By staying true to our roots, we’ve earned a place on FORTUNE magazine’s list of the “100 Best Companies to Work For” every year since the rankings began in 1998. We work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day.
At REI, we inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.
Learn how a group of mountaineers founded REI in The REI Story.
Headquarters: Seattle, Washington
Members: 19 million
Revenues: $3.12 billion (2019)
Stores: 167 across 40 states
Invested in 400+ non-profits: $8.1 million (2019)
Distributed in member dividends: $210.8 million (2019)
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading and growing REI’s regional team focused on the customer and member. The Regional Director is responsible for an assigned region and works cross-functionally to create a data-informed regional customer strategy that localizes the co-op priorities centered on meeting the customer needs where they live, work, visit, and play. The regional strategy will drive regional relevance and local partnerships ensuring REI is the gateway to the outside for all throughout the customer journey; ensuring our stores, our local partnerships, and our offerings (e.g., workshops, presentations, events, and rentals, etc.) reflect the outdoor needs of our community.
This role creates an inclusive environment and develops diverse teams and leaders representing the communities we aspire to serve, including outreach to underserved groups, as well as strengthening current customer relationships in the region through new, innovative initiatives (e.g., new stores, experiences, and partnerships). This role will establish and monitor performance standards to hold empowered teams accountable for the execution of the regional strategy as measured by defined KPI’s by our four measures of success (e.g., society, customer, employee, business).
Leading the Way
- As a member of the Leadership Forum, develops a deep understanding of, effectively communicates and broadly supports execution of company strategies and priorities.
- Translates company strategies into actionable divisional plans and executes successful delivery.
- Works cross-divisionally to drive execution of specific divisional and company strategies, initiatives and projects.
- Strengthens retail staff’s access and connection to leadership through store visits, district conference calls and other means of communication; drives engagement and builds trust in REI’s leadership.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods, and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department/division/region.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances, and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements
- Ensures strategic alignment with cross-functional partners on regional strategy including experiences, LBEI, Merch, Real Estate, etc. Develops multi-year regional plan that grows brand awareness and customer acquisition to drive total geographic sales, service, market share, and profitability.
- Manages regional store teams and monitors KPIs that measure regional plan effectiveness and adjustments as necessary.
- Collaborates cross divisionally to ensure support and execution of regional business and people strategies.
- Attracts, recruits, trains, and develops diverse top talent at all levels that reflects the community, customers, and potential new customers within each region.
- Anticipates local challenges and opportunities to create multi-year regional plans to proactively drive commercial opportunity.
- Aligns with other Regional Directors, to ensure consistency in quality and best practices for the customer and employee experience.
- Collaborates with local brand engagement team and experiences team to identify and collaborate with business-critical community partnerships.
- Influences cross-divisional partners to achieve Co-Op strategies and ensure local relevance.
- Extensive experience through progressive management high volume / multi-unit business.
- Critical and strategic thinking to create regional level plans to achieve regional goals
- Financial and business acumen to drive profitability
- Demonstrated experience of cross-divisional partnership and collaboration to lead in a matrixed environment
- Proven experience in establishing vision and goals; developing strategic plans and leading cross-divisional teams in accomplishing key strategic initiatives
- Ability to manage significant ambiguity with minimal support and direction
- Ensures accountability to the regional results
- Proven track record of developing and promoting diverse talent
- Understanding of Omni-channel and customer field programming
- Ability to travel as required
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI’s values and ethics
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company’s best interest
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction
- Effectively plans and executes changes
“It’s a lifestyle,” our employees say.
It means working in an environment of respect, diversity, shared values and a passion for the outdoors. You work with team members who share your enthusiasm for helping more people enjoy the outdoors, whether you work in a retail store, a distribution center or our company headquarters near Seattle, Washington.
That’s why REI has been chosen for FORTUNE magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” every year since the magazine began compiling the list in 1998 and toping their charts at #1 in 2020 for “America’s Best Employers for Women”. Learn more about working at REI.
The Co-op Way
The Co-op Way is our cultural field guide. It celebrates the best of who we’ve been, the best of who we are, and pushes us towards who we need to be. It clarifies who we are, what we’re here to do and how we work individually and collectively toward our common purpose, for the greatest impact.
It sets out nine “values in action” that are important for all employees to live and model for the current and future health of the co-op and the outdoors:
- We fight for the outdoors
- We are here to do our best work
- We are all responsible for the co-op’s results
- We go further, together
- We start from a place of respect
- We strive for harmony in work and life
- We believe the outdoors is for all
- We courageously embrace change
- We hold ourselves to a higher standard
Environmental Stewardship and Community Service
As a purpose-driven cooperative, REI’s business and core purpose are intertwined—we grow our business by furthering our purpose. We’re committed to promoting environmental stewardship and increasing access to outdoor recreation. We work to ensure the next generation has a first-hand connection to the natural spaces we all enjoy.
Our dedication to the outdoors shapes our business practices, including recycling, minimizing waste in packaging, and green building practices. Learn more in our annual Stewardship Report.
We care for recreational places by participating in and coordinating hands-on volunteer service projects. Every year, our stores mobilize tens of thousands of volunteers to build trails, clean up beaches, restore local habitat and much more. Find a volunteer project organized by your local REI store.
Each year, REI dedicates a portion of its operating profits to help protect and restore the environment, increase access to outdoor activities and encourage involvement in responsible outdoor recreation.
Our grants focus on supporting and promoting outdoor volunteerism. We believe we have a unique opportunity and ability to leverage our financial giving by engaging community partners and members in environmental stewardship volunteer work. Learn more.
The REI Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 1993. Since 1976, REI and The REI Foundation have invested more than $87 million in organizations across the country that share our goal of creating access to outdoor places and enabling transformational experiences in the outdoors for all people. Our co-op model means that as we grow, so does our ability to support these partners and places. In 2017, we reached another high-water mark in annual philanthropy, supporting over 400 organizations with community investments totaling $8.8 million.
Most people who love the outdoors experienced the natural world early in their life. The Foundation’s primary efforts encourage active outdoor participation by young people and their families. The Foundation also supports communities by funding recovery efforts from natural disasters.