Director, STEM Strategy
Waltham, MA, USA
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC began over 60 years ago with the creation of PSSC Physics, a curriculum that broke new ground in how science was taught in the US. That history continues today with a focus on education across the STEM disciplines, as well as on the enduring and underlying practices that are critical for learning and success in STEM careers. Our work extends from early childhood and K-12 education, through post-secondary education and adult learning. We develop tools and materials for students and teachers across the STEM fields, including online courses and instructional technology. We also implement evidence-based programs and strategies with local, regional, and national partners, and conduct research and evaluation to determine what works and why. All of this work is grounded in a steadfast commitment to equity, inclusion, and broadening participation in STEM education.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
EDC has an exciting opportunity for a Director, STEM Strategy to lead the expansion of our STEM footprint externally and play a key role internally setting the strategic direction for the next generation of STEM education at EDC.
The Director, STEM Strategy is a senior leadership role that will be at the center of EDC’s efforts to shape STEM initiatives across the U.S. for maximum impact by introducing new and creative ways to showcase EDC’s strengths and deep experience in the field.
This is a new position at EDC that calls for a visionary leader that will take an established organization and build upon its strengths by crafting a clear, innovative and inclusive strategy and execute in a collaborative way across the organization to make sure that our efforts are successful.
The Director, STEM Strategy will:
- Champion, internally and externally, a strategic approach to growing our presence in the STEM field in the United States
- Develop and expand relationships with partners and funders to build a robust funding pipeline
- Have significant credibility and is respected by thought leaders in the field
The Director will take an active leadership role in crafting a vision and implementing a strategy to drive thought leadership efforts and secure funding for strategic new initiatives to help deepen our work in the following areas:
- Increase equity in computer science education and integrate computational thinking into all aspects of education;
- Expand access and improve STEM education for underrepresented groups; and
- Prepare children and youth for the future workforce.
- Work with staff to design and execute a strategic approach to the next generation of STEM education work at EDC
- Lead external-facing efforts to build and amplify strategic partnerships with the goal of building a strong and diverse funding pipeline
- Identify and refine opportunities to showcase EDC’ projects, products or initiatives and craft corresponding messaging to introduce these opportunities to possible funders
- Contribute substantially to EDC’s intellectual capital and external visibility at key events and conferences, in the media, and in the STEM field
- Act as an ambassador for EDC’s STEM work and connect EDC STEM leaders to strategic national and regional conferences and meetings
- Proven success in business development across a variety of funders (federal, state, foundation, and corporate)
- Entrepreneurial, resourceful, adaptive, results-oriented, energetic and collaborative
- Dynamic approach to forging relationships and partnerships that increase EDC’s external visibility
- Strong leadership skills, conducive to developing and coaching teams
- Adept at getting buy-in from internal stake holders when introducing new strategies or approaches as alternatives to established norms
- Effective, positive, and transparent communication skills
- Experience driving development and education or training initiatives in STEM disciplines, preferably one of the sciences or computer science
- Demonstrated dedication to equity and broadening participation of underrepresented groups in STEM education
- Established credibility with a wide range of funders and partners
- Nationally respected in field of expertise
- Deep knowledge of formal and/or informal STEM education contexts and challenges
- Master’s degree required, PhD preferred
- 12+ years of related experience, with at least 5 years of experience in project management or program development experience
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please complete the form below: