WHO WE ARE
Set among 400-plus acres of serene oak woodlands in the secluded hills of West Marin County, California, Spirit Rock Meditation Center (link to website) is a refuge from everyday life where it's truly possible to quiet the mind, soften the heart and see life in a new way. Spirit Rock’s vision is to bring people to a depth of realization of the Buddha’s path. This vision is realized by Spirit Rock’s mission of providing individuals with teachings to manifest wisdom. Spirit Rock’s offers Dharma teachings, insight meditation retreats and programs to all levels of practitioners.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
We know by experience, prioritizing diversity and inclusion throughout our hiring process allows equitable treatment and accessibility to everyone seeking employment at SRMC. We strive to create a workplace culture that reflects the communities we serve and empowers everyone to bring their full and authentic selves to our teams. All employees have the responsibility to treat fellow employees with the utmost of respect and dignity, at all times.
In conjunction with our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI Plan) Spirit Rock Meditation Center (SRMC) is committed to a diverse workplace environment where everyone is welcome. We honor and celebrate different ideas, voices, perspectives and backgrounds that help us create a robust and innovative multicultural organization.
Spirit Rock is seeking a mission-centric, collaborative, action-orientated leader to join the executive leadership team. In conjunction with the Executive Director, Spirit Rock’s Deputy Director will provide leadership and oversight to all activities related to daily operations as well as the organization’s larger strategic plan. This person provides leadership to and manages the efforts of the director team to ensure appropriate support of all departments. They will utilize their exceptional skill sets and lived experiences to contribute as a strategic thought partner for the organization, focusing on sustainability, adaptability, and execution of our mission. This position reports to the Executive Director and manages 3-5 directors.
Specific responsibilities of deputy director include, but are not limited to the following:
- Function as a strategic thought partner and advisor to the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and senior staff leadership.
- Lead annual action plans to meet the long-term priorities and implementation of our Strategic Plan 2025.
- Expand Spirit Rock’s newest arm—a virtual center—by transitioning it from an interim space during the pandemic to a sustainable online presence
- Lead the transition of operations back on site when it becomes ethically appropriate given the pandemic, updating our staffing model.
- Drive our ‘Design and Build’ team focused on our next stage of campus construction, renovation, and expansion
- Partner with our Guiding Teachers on our strategic Teacher Organizational Development project which will define the teacher relationship and structure with Spirit Rock for the next decade.
- Partner with our Executive Director on cultivating our non-profit Governance relationships and workflow with the Board of Directors and our Committees
- Lead and contribute to organization-wide discussions regarding Spirit Rock’s financial health, fundraising programs, and operational plans.
- Supervise and support the director team that manage all departments at Spirit Rock.
- Support the development of a long-term program curriculum that reinforces pathways to practice and ensures ongoing programmatic excellence.
- Oversee all day-to-day operational activities for the organization.
- Provide leadership for Spirit Rock’s communication and marketing plans and initiatives including the creation of increased external partnerships and national marketing campaigns.
- Partner with Development staff and the Board to support ongoing annual and capital fundraising efforts.
- Partner with Finance staff and the Finance Committee on all strategic and tactical matters relating to financial planning, budget management, forecasting needs, and cash flow.
- Supports organizational-wide programs and initiatives including compensation systems, performance management, and employee recognition.
- Champion efforts to translate our organization’s DEI strategy and plan into thoughtful and innovative plans and objectives.
- Inspire and motivate directors and staff in co-creating a reflective, productive, caring, inclusive culture that holds itself as a learning community.
- Support the creation of policies that mitigate bias, increase equitable outcomes, and foster respect and inclusion across all organizational levels of Spirit Rock.
- Be a continual learner and supporter of Spirit Rock’s mission.
- Promote and support dharma-centric decision making.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
The following skills and competencies reflect the nature of Spirit Rock’s work, which is collaborative, and inclusive. A successful Deputy Director is a first-rate leader who can design and implement solutions, lead by example; delivering excellence while exhibiting humility. A successful Deputy Director will also have:
■ Demonstrated leader with success in building and leading diverse, cross-functional / interdisciplinary teams.
■ Demonstrated track record of excellence in operations and program management.
■ Ability to create action plans tied directly to strategic goals.
■ Recognized by others as having superior active listening and communication skills.
■ Experience partnering closely with an executive and executive-level teams.
■ A track record of collaboratively creating and implementing process improvements and change management strategies.
■ Ability to engage with, present to and lead diverse groups with multiple perspectives.
■ Exhibits mindfulness and discernment when holding challenging conversations and making difficult decisions.
■ Is willing and able to switch gracefully between acting as an individual contributor and overseeing larger initiatives, providing support and guidance.
■ Looks for opportunities to create new partnerships and allows others to leverage existing partnerships.
Successful Deputy Director candidates will likely possess the following:
■ 10+ years of leadership experience.
■ Proven track record of mentoring and coaching team members; fueling the professional / personal growth in others.
■ Experience working for an organization with a complex stakeholder group.
■ Understanding of non-profit fundraising and philanthropy (preferred).
■ Buddhist or Dharma awareness, experience, or active practice (preferred).
Spirit Rock’s leadership team is deeply committed to building a culture that delivers professional growth through meaningful work, honest feedback, and a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. All team members, are naturally aligned with our core values and mission, and strive to possess the following:
■ An ability to listen with an open mind and a deep commitment to including and respecting diverse viewpoints.
■ Actively listens to multiple viewpoints.
■ Translates learnings into solutions for team members and the organization.
■ Creates a culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
■ A desire for continuous improvement and a foundation of self-awareness that provides space for learning and growth.
■ Use active process of curiosity, humility, collaboration, learning and un-learning and adapting.
■ Embraces setbacks, seeing them as learning opportunities.
■ Communicates in clear and compelling ways (written/verbal) and adapts appropriately for the environment.
■ Models and helps others embrace a culture of learning and continuous improvement by actively seeking and providing feedback.
■ Exhibits a proactive, passionate, and collaborative attitude.
In our dedication to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging, SRMC provides on-going multi-cultural competency training to all employees that are intrinsically tied to the values of excellence, diversity and inclusion outlined in the mission and principles of Spirit Rock Meditation Center.
Spirit Rock is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this position, please complete the form below: