CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
SAN RAFAEL, CA
WHO WE ARE
Bay Area Community Resources (BACR)promotes the healthy development of individuals, families, and communities. For the past four decades, BACR has provided a spectrum of direct services to youth and adults throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
BACR is supported by over 1,300 professional staff (both full and part-time), 200 AmeriCorps Members, and 5,871 volunteers. Building community is the cornerstone of the agency’s mission and an integral part of each of its major service industries: After School programs, Healthy Communities, Behavioral Health, National Service, and Youth and Workforce Development. BACR provides school-based support services such as Case Management, Restorative Justice, Youth Leadership, and Community School Coordination.
BACR is seeking a mission-centric, detail-orientated leader to join the executive leadership team. In close partnership with the CEO, BACR’s COO will contribute to and operationalize strategic plans, provide thought leadership to the executive team, as well as actively model characteristics of effective relationship building and integrity.
This position reports to the CEO, and has 3 direct reports: the director of human resources, the director of information technology and facilities manager.
Specific responsibilities of the chief operating officer include, but are not limited to the following:
- Supervise and support directors / managers responsible for human resources, IT, and facilities.
- In conjunction with the facilities manager, develop and coordinate agency-wide emergency and safety protocols and plans.
- In conjunction with the human resources department, work to maintain an inclusive organizational culture that attracts and retains top talent, including staff and contractors
- In conjunction with the IT manager, lead and support efforts to improve, grow and support technology systems and work-flow processes.
- Model and communicate the agency core values and ensure that policies, practices, and operations are aligned with the values.
- Lead and/or participate in external collaborations and partnerships.
- Ensure strong, professional relationships with key funders and stakeholders.
- Provide a day-to-day internal leadership presence.
- Identify growth opportunities and priorities.
- Develop and oversee implementation of operations and program policies and procedures.
- Review agency structure and reporting relationships to optimize communication and efficiency.
- Lead annual operations and program planning, working closely with the CEO and other organizational directors.
- Provide oversight to programmatic performance review processes, assessing outcomes against goals.
- Develop and manage the annual risk management assessment process, ensuring a thorough review of internal controls to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations in programs and in the administrative areas of IT, HR and employee safety.
- Review legal claims and coordinate communication with attorneys, insurance agents and staff.
- Approve contracts and expenditures and has the authority to bind the organization.
- When applicable, provide relevant organizational information for the purpose of strengthening funding proposals and grant applications.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
A successful chief operating officer is a first-rate leader who can design and implement solutions, lead by example; delivering excellence while exhibiting humility. A successful chief operating officer will also have:
- Demonstrated success leading diverse, cross-functional / interdisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated track record of excellence in operations management.
- Strong orientation to data driven decision making.
- Ability to create operations plans tied directly to strategic goals.
- Experience creating new external partnerships and allowing others toleverage existing partnerships.
- Ability to facilitate understanding and deepen the relationships between program and administrative personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to model ethical leadership and business integrity.
Successful chief operating officer candidates will likely possess the following:
- 10+ years of leadership and management experience.
- 5+ years of fiscal oversight, monitoring financial indicators including budget development, income and expense variance (nonprofit experience preferred).
- Proven track record of mentoring and coaching team members; fueling the professional / personal growth in others.
- Experience working for an organization with a complex stakeholder group; internally and externally.
- Exposure to high level technology solutions such as internal program/grant auditing and tracking, field staff apps, program reporting, annual program planning and metrics.
- Strong understanding of government contracts (local and federal), as well general awareness of corporate and foundation grants.
- Demonstrated experience in external community and partnership building in the San Francisco Bay Area (preferred).
BACR is deeply committed to building a culture that delivers professional growth through meaningful work, honest feedback, and a diverse, equitable, and inclusiveworkplace. All team members are naturally aligned with our core values and mission. We strive to:
- Listen with an open mind and a deep commitment to including and respecting diverse viewpoints
- Translate learnings into solutions for team members and the organization.
- Create a culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Value continuous improvement and a foundation of self-awareness that provides space for professional learning and growth.
- Possess a proactive outlook in seeking out professional development opportunities for one’s self and others.
- Communicate in clear and compelling ways (written/verbal) and adapts appropriately for the environment.
- Exhibit a proactive, passionate, and collaborative attitude.
Bay Area Community Resources is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
For more information about this position, please contact Nicole Ferrer at email@example.com.
To apply, please complete the form below. All forms are required.