Chief Development Officer
San Jose, CA (HYBRID)
Planned Parenthood Mar Monte (PPMM) is the largest Planned Parenthood affiliate in the U.S., providing medical and education services to nearly 300,000 people annually at 34 health center locations in mid-California and northern Nevada.
PPMM was formed by a series of mergers of Planned Parenthood affiliates and independent health centers during the 1990s. The affiliate’s name was chosen to reflect a service area that stretches from the sea (mar) through the mountains (monte).
Health services include birth control, emergency contraception, pregnancy testing, prenatal care, abortion, adult general care, breast and cervical cancer screening, pediatrics and well-baby care as well as testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, HIV testing, and sterilization.
Compensation: > $325,000
Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for unflinchingly and successfully leading a comprehensive fundraising program for Planned Parenthood Mar Monte (PPMM) that unites the entire organization behind a bold vision for philanthropy centered in building multi-state strength and safeguarding impact. The CDO ensures attainment of the organization’s fund development goals through the discerning selection, development, motivation, and evaluation of key stakeholders, both professional and volunteer.
Philanthropy is critical to the sustainability and long-term impact of PPMM. This position is responsible for setting and successfully achieving annual and long-range fundraising goals. As a member of the Leadership Team of PPMM, the CDO plays an integral and collaborative role in determining long and short-term strategies that allow the affiliate to thrive, fund, and carry out its mission across CA, NV and the country.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Exceptional fundraising knowledge, skills and aptitude with a zeal for developing donor relationships, creating meaningful connections and deepening donor commitments to the organization.
Lead role in the development and successful implementation of fundraising strategy for PPMM, including the strategy, planning, successful implementation and execution of a comprehensive fundraising program.
Manage a portfolio of donors; identify, establish and maintain relationships; cultivate, solicit and steward as appropriate.
Mobilize, lead and inspire development staff, board committee members, and volunteers in major, principal and transformational gift solicitations as appropriate.
Identify opportunities, develop strategies, and execute with the President and CEO to secure gifts for facilities, special projects, building endowment, and other initiatives as outlined in the PPMM strategic plan
Work collaboratively with the CFO and Chief of Staff to determine the financial and strategic implications of fundraising gift vehicles, including pledges, planned gifts, endowment.
Create and articulate a visionary, compelling case for transformational funding that will support the successful implementation and execution of a comprehensive campaign.
Demonstrate an authentic understanding of and sensitivity to the issues facing historically marginalized communities in the reproductive space; demonstrated commitment to and experience in incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion principles into the development function and fundraising efforts.
Supports Planned Parenthood of America’s standards and guidelines.
Perform other responsibilities as requested by the President/CEO.
Oversee all aspects of fundraising strategy and operations: leadership, major and transformational gift solicitations, foundation grants and corporate donations, annual fund and special projects fundraising, endowment fundraising, events fundraising, c4 fundraising, and campaigns.
Responsible for the efficient and effective performance of development operations including prospect research and management, data management, reporting, and stewardship programs,
Oversee correct preparation and execution of development budgets and ensure responsibility and accountability for meeting budgets.
Foster cross-departmental coordination of activities within PPMM for the most compelling opportunities for philanthropic investment.
Assure success and stability by fostering a working environment that is fast-paced, efficient, high-quality, supportive and energizing for staff and volunteers.
Provide excellent stewardship of the organization’s philanthropic resources.
Ensures full department participation in internal and interdepartmental workgroups, task forces and problem-solving processes.
Why Staff Are Proud To Work at PPMM
At Planned Parenthood Mar Monte, we’re passionate about delivering high quality, non-judgmental health care and education to our communities. At our 34 health centers, we foster a team-based approach, embracing diversity in our staff and patients and providing essential care for thousands of individuals and families — regardless of their ability to pay.
If you’re looking for a way to make a vital impact on people’s lives, come work with us. You’ll receive on-the-job training and mentoring, along with excellent benefits that allow for a healthy work/life balance.
- Ten years of business and non-profit experience including five years of demonstrated leadership and senior management experience in health care, business operations, or other related field and at least seven years leadership experience in fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and developing a strong fund development function at the $15 million+ /year level. Proven ability to increase fund development results and to grow a fundraising results significantly.
- A successful track record of building, maintaining, and stewarding relationships with high-level individual donors. Proven ability to secure six and seven-figure gifts from individual donors.
- BS/BA or graduate degree in a business or related field.
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytic abilities and judgment.
- Ability to demonstrate team leadership with strong team development and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated experience and excellent skills in:
- Written and verbal communication
- Management and administration
- Personnel management including the supervision of senior level employees;
- Budget development and oversight capabilities
- Creating appropriate measurements and metrics to ensure productivity
- Computer and database usage
- Working knowledge of endowment management strategies and vehicles.
- Experience in teaching fundraising principles and best practices in annual giving; major, individual, and planned giving; large campaign planning and execution; and development communications.
- Ability to work well under pressure and effectively handle difficult, sensitive situations and relationships.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends and travel as required.
- Ability to advocate for reproductive freedom and abortion.
- Willingness and ability to support Planned Parenthood’s mission of sexual health services, education, and advocacy.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information about this position, please contact Nicole Leckband at firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, please complete the form below:
PPMM does not discriminate against any person with regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran or military status, or physical or mental disability. To strengthen our team, candidates from across the North Sound region and from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
GET IN TOUCH
or send us a message
email us and we will happily respond