Senior Director, Marketing Communications
San Francisco, CA
Building on more than 50 years of unparalleled service and leadership in the Bay Area, GLIDE is deepening its impact, expanding its reach and building on a transformative legacy of serving the most marginalized with unconditional love and radical inclusion. GLIDE is approaching this important moment in its history with a sophisticated senior team and Board of Trustees focused on evolving this iconic organization and setting it up for another 50 years of success. Leading with a vision outlined in GLIDE’s new five-year strategic plan, “GLIDE Forward,” this incredible team is building a next generation of services, elevating its voice on social justice, and launching a new comprehensive campaign to secure GLIDE’s sustainability. GLIDE’s active community ranges from billionaires such as Warren Buffet to people overcoming homelessness. GLIDE is searching for a highly sophisticated, experienced, inclusive leader to oversee its strategic communications and brand marketing efforts. S/he will be joining an authentic, committed group of leaders who are transforming the lives of the most vulnerable.
The Sr. Director, Marketing Communications will oversee the development, execution, and implementation of a new, powerful communications strategy across all communication multimedia channels, including digital and print. In addition, the Sr. Director is responsible for ensuring the consistent brand and visual identity of GLIDE.
This individual will serve as part of GLIDE’s Senior Leadership Team, working closely with team colleagues to achieve three overarching objectives that support GLIDE’s new strategic plan: 1) Support civic leadership, donor and funder pipelines or positions by strategically engaging with the media, and crafting the brand and communications strategy; 2) Engage external stakeholders (e.g., donors, funders, media, community leaders, and other organizations) by communicating the mission, work, and impact of GLIDE in a way that is compelling and produces trust, interest, and support.; 3) Improve how GLIDE’s many constituencies view and understand the organization in ways that increase both individual engagement with GLIDE, and civic/social engagement within communities and. This role may also include serving as the organizational spokesperson where appropriate.
The individual who will thrive in this position will be a hands-on, fast-paced, mission driven, strategic communications leader who has a commitment to the mission, values, and philosophy of GLIDE, and who approaches their work through a diversity and inclusion lens that drives strong collaboration across the organization for the success of their team and GLIDE. This person must be able to work non-traditional hours (nights and weekends) and be present at special events. Regular and predictable attendance is essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties can be assigned, and the duties and responsibilities of the job are subject to change without notice.
- Develop a strategic communications and marketing plan to support the organization's mission, goals and objectives.
- Define and build the GLIDE brand to meaningfully interact with a broad local, state and national base of stakeholders.
- Create and implement a scaled, multichannel (social media, text, email, etc.) strategy with strong content showcasing the mission, work, and impact of GLIDE to break the cycles of poverty and economic disparity.
- Work closely with Senior Leadership colleagues to lead the creation of high-priority and high-quality critical communications, including crafting key narratives.
- Expand GLIDE’s presence: Identify and participate in professional communities and opportunities to examine effective communication strategies and build the practices and tools available to the Communications team and GLIDE.
- Act as communications advisor to the President & CEO, Senior Leadership Team, Board of Trustees, and represent GLIDE as spokesperson when required.
- Build relationships with key influencers, strategic partners and external constituencies.
- Ensure live events and special projects are successful and effective representations of GLIDE.
- Enhance the rapid response and crisis communications operation.
- Lead team of communications professionals by assigning work, setting priorities, evaluating performance, departmental skills, and experience needs and recruiting and developing talent for present and future departmental needs.
- Support, develop and promote consistency of messaging across the organization, including close collaboration with Fund Development, Center for Social Justice, Programs, Human Resources, and internal communications teams.
- Develop annual budget and strategic goals for communications team that are aligned with organizational goals.
- Build an inclusive team culture that values diverse perspectives and inspires team members to produce high-quality outputs.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BA degree or equivalent with 10+ years of experience in communications and marketing roles with progressive responsibility, including team management experience.
- Knowledge of San Francisco Bay Area political, media, social services, and economic justice landscape.
- Experience in fast-paced environments, developing and managing a comprehensive strategic communications strategy, principal thought-leadership, media relations, and marketing program, including social media.
- Track record of developing and maintaining strong relationships with key media and industry representatives and/or the skill and drive to build new such relationships.
SKILLS & CAPABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced communication skills. Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of oral, written, visual, and audial communications to determine the most effective proposals and presentation materials, to persuade others to accept suggestions and proposals, and to foster effective relationships between funding sources and GLIDE.
- Skilled at storytelling, driving a strategic narrative frame in a myriad of outlets and determining newsworthy content.
- Skilled in writing for a variety of audiences and in a variety of writing styles, on a wide range of topics. Must be able to compose clear, concise and original materials. Editing and proofreading skills essential.
- Previous experience as on-the-record spokesperson and working directly for a high-level principle desired.
- Ability to interpret and analyze statistical data and other data found in reports relevant to programs or projects.
- Ability to devise and implement a complex budget.
- Strong proficiency in MS Office suite. Facility with Excel.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
- Salesforce experience strongly preferred.
Maintains a positive, supportive, and fun working environment that attracts, retains, and motivates team members and volunteers through hands-on leadership, including coordination of organizational priorities and internal communications. Fosters an organizational culture that is consistent with GLIDE’s most deeply held values: Radically Inclusive, Truth Telling, Loving and Hopeful, For the People and Celebration.
- Develops workable strategies where Glide continues to hire employees from the communities, we serve along with on-going development that facilitates a career path to leadership roles.
- Leads an organizational culture that celebrate the contributions and leadership of women, people of color, LGBT community, all religious backgrounds, formerly incarcerated, formerly homeless, in recovery, etc
- Is an active member of our fund development efforts. Develops external relationships and influence that has fruitful impact with our donor community.
- Thinking agility
- Agile problem solver: Draws on fresh thinking from diverse sources to get to the best ideas and solutions that solve problems in new areas and new ways. Explores social innovations and well imagined experiments
- Moves strategy to execution: Contributes to and leads strategy, translates into execution plans and leads for high impact outcomes
- Thought leader: Broadly shares expertise in a way Glide and its team members, partners and clients benefit
- Assimilates and comprehends complex challenges: Uses contemporary methods, systems and data analytics to design and solve tough social issues
- Collaborative: Maintains strong cross functional relationships across the organization. Builds a culture of collaboration and team building. Effectively leads matrix projects. Attentive to building bridges internally and externally
- Leads and inspires change using exceptional inter-personal skills and experience in achieving transformations
- Communicates clearly and frequently to ensure that people understand what is happening and why
- Cultivates effective teams. Recruits, retains and develops talent that achieves Glide’s mission and vision while being excellent examples of our values
- Resilient: Is steady and unflappable in situations of stress and challenge
- Tolerance of ambiguity: At ease with working within the gray area and when priorities shift, can achieve results even during uncertainty
- Authentic and empathetic: Others find her/him to be open and genuine with others, shows compassion for concerns of others.
- Humble: Treats everyone with respect regardless of their position, role or title. Is self-aware regarding own limitations and has the confidence to recognize own weaknesses
- Integrity: Does the right thing. Consistently acting with the best long-term interests of Glide and its clients.
The work environment described here is representative of that which an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Community based social service office environment that serves residents who can struggle with their relationships to situations in ways that can manifest challenging behavior.
- GLIDE is in the Tenderloin, a high-crime neighborhood. Due to our surroundings, it is important to always be aware of what’s going on around you while walking around the neighborhood.
Complete the below form to apply for this position.